Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sans Technology

I go to restaurants and see couples and friends alike not talking but holding their gadgets typing and, sometimes, even smiling while looking at their respective screens. What happened to good old face to face conversations? (not face to screen conversations)

Relationships are fostered primarily through communication. I am fortunate to have friends whom I can have great conversations with and great moments of silence as well. We share ideas, experiences and feelings. We share hearty laughs and a few tears every now and then.

I have met people who had long term relationships evaporate (me included). The reason usually was lack of communication. Most of the time, it was because they think that they share different views or they don’t know who their partners really are. I think it’s because of a lack of confidence that what one person will say may create a conflict or that what they are going to say may be viewed by the other as stupid. Then the mouth is kept shut.

A conversation is a two way process.  It’s simply sharing.

Quite recently, I have been the one who always ask to turn whatever gadget off. When the people I am with do so. I smile thinking, yes, let’s start talking. Tears, laughs, arguments, let’s have them.

Foster relationships. Turn it off. Talk.

1 comment: