Monday, August 9, 2010

Touch Me

A direct report told me, "You are good leader because you do not only focus on work and how I can perform but you help me relate how I achieve my goals at work with my life." It got me thinking. Aren't touching other people's lives and guiding them some of the characteristics of a leader?

As a leader, I make sure that I help people think and make decisions on their own so they can achieve their goals. (period) When you get to talk to employees, they just don't want to meet or exceed the targets, it's because they want to provide for their family, to buy that next big gadget or to invest.

A business is a business. A company has to make sure that they continue to earn money and grow but some people (leaders and employees alike) get drowned on the money, the percentages, the projections, the sustainability and the competition.  We can do that by having committed employees who will commit to achieve to the same "company" goal. I fan that flame by making sure that the employee goes back to the reason why he has to spend a minimum of 9 hours at work 5 days a week, sometimes miles away from their family.

When you find someone who will be there for you to help you get where you want to be, you will do what ever it is that he asks you to do.

I have always been a self starter. What do you do when no one fans your flame from within, when no one touches you so you can do the same to others?

I touch myself.

4 comments: